Too cool for school?

Valentines Day cards are a tradition for some on the holiday.
Valentine’s Day cards are a tradition for some on the holiday.
Staff photo

February is the month of love and a time when people give cards or gifts, but do these traditional gestures seem a little silly as students get older?  Jahtalia Feingold, who is in fourth grade at Patrick M. Villano School, still enjoys the card craze in her classroom.

“Yes, I do think it is still cool to make Valentine’s [Day cards] because people lose interest in doing them as they get older, so doing them now would be better than doing them when I’m older,” Feingold said.

Feingold thinks cards are great in grade four, but they could seem silly and childish to older students. Joseph DiBono, a fifth grader, agrees.

“We’re getting older. We don’t need them as much,” DiBono said.

Sixth grader Aneesa Mathew would also like to see the cards go.

“I do think fidget toys are cute instead of cards,” Mathew said.

Fellow sixth grader Nathen Dennehy doesn’t like how time consuming it is to make cards, “…because we get more homework and it takes more time out of our day to make the Valentine’s.”

Some students think there are faster ways to create Valentine’s Day magic such as writing an email or simply telling someone you love them,

View Comments (1)