A day in the life of a school social worker

Amanda Binetti created a comfortable space with a couch and pillows for students to talk.
Norah Smith

Helping students with their emotions is an important part of the job for Amanda Binetti. She’s the social worker at Patrick M. Villano School.

“My day to day schedule as the school social worker here can look pretty different depending each day of the week,” Binetti explained. “However, on most days I have scheduled counseling sessions with students across all three grade levels as well as lunch bunch groups on different days. I also work very closely with Mrs. Espinoza and attend lots of meetings.”

Binetti helps students deal with friendship problems, for example. She uses a variety of ways to help students have a positive school year.

“Most of the time, I will give students advice and guide them on how to resolve the issue, but other times I offer to have students come to my office together and meet with me so that we can all talk together and find the best solution,” Binetti said.

Aside from resolving conflicts, Binetti helps organize the school’s monthly talent show called the O Show and annual school play.

“… I started by helping out with Kamp Kaos and then became a lead director in the following year. This decision was mainly inspired by my experience as a student director when I was in high school,” Binetti said. “I absolutely loved being involved in the arts and have always loved theater.”

This year, Binetti is participating as director for High School Musical Jr.