Gorilla Tag review

Opinion
Gorilla Tag, a virtual reality game, has many different levels of play.
Staff photo

Tag. You’re it! That is the idea behind Gorilla Tag, a fun virtual reality game.

“Run, jump, and climb using only your hands. Play tag or infection with people online. Run away from the infected players, or outmaneuver the survivors to catch them,” states the game description on Steam. Steam is a gaming website where people can purchase and play video games.

Gorilla Tag is played by some students at Patrick M. Villano School. Stefan Dib, a fifth-grade student, said his favorite part of Gorilla Tag is to “play with friends.”

There are six different game levels each with their own landscape and obstacles. Dib said his favorite is the mountains. Another fifth-grader, Justin Bolger, also plays Gorilla tag. Bolger said his favorite landscape is the forest. He also enjoys playing minigames within the virtual setting.

“I think my favorite minigame is Ghost in the Graveyard,” Bolger said. This minigame is similar to hide-and-seek.

Bolger said his favorite thing to do on Gorilla Tag is to chat with other players. However, Common Sense Media, an online review source for parents, warns that the chat feature in virtual reality games poses some problems. The chat feature is available on certain systems and allows people to choose an avatar and interact with others online.

“Though users can block, mute, and report others and their content, there’s little in the way of efficient moderation,” the online source warns.