Fourth is first again

The drive ran for three weeks from Monday, March 4, through Friday, March 22.
Aaron Soohoo

They did it again. A fourth grade class collected the most items for Patrick M. Villano’s annual food drive. This year, it was the students from Trish Mancino and Sherry Robson’s homeroom.

”I feel happy and excited that our class won!”  Collette DeBenedetto, a winning student, said.

The March Madness food drive ran from Monday, March 4, until Friday, March 22.

“The food drive creates a sense of excitement for the students to work together as a community and to help others at the same time,” Mancino said. “It also promotes healthy competition that the students completely enjoy. Seeing the class work together and come to together as a whole to accomplish a goal is brilliant to see. ”

Donations benefit a food pantry at the Emerson Bible Church. The pantry works directly with local families in need from Emerson and its surrounding towns.

”It’s important to encourage kids to give back to their communities and donating to a food pantry is a great way for kids to do that,” Megan Smith said. She is a pantry volunteer.

In total, Villano School collected 1,371 items. Class 4MR which took the competition name “Magnificent Rabbits” collected 196 of those items. 

“As an Emerson resident this food drive is extra special because Emerson residents in need benefit from the cause,” Mancino added.

Mancino’s homeroom has either placed first or second in the food drive competition for the past several years. Student Congress sponsors the drive. Members placed bins outside classroom doors for student donations. Once the bin got full, Student Congress members counted and emptied the goods for another round of collections. Mancino’s class was recently rewarded with extra recess time outside.

For some students, like fifth grader Nathan Daviou, winning wasn’t everything. His homeroom placed second in the food drive.

“I feel good that the people are getting food that they need,” Daviou said.

”The school’s donations often fully restock the food pantry which is amazing. This allows the pantry the ability to provide food for everyone that may need it,” Smith added.

View Comments (1)