Remembering past presidents

Mount Rushmore is a national memorial in South Dakota that honors former presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.
“president’s monument” by jeFRE Gilyen is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.

The third Monday in February has a special name: Presidents’ Day. According to Britannica Kids online, this federal holiday is officially called Washington’s Birthday. Whatever you call it, it’s a day to celebrate all past presidents of the United States.

“President’s Day used to be a day to honor and remember our first president, George Washington. Now President’s Day is more to honor all of our past U.S. presidents and to remember to be thankful for the freedoms our country has,” Kate Gallucci said.

Gallucci is the fifth grade Social Studies teacher. She said she likes to remember that we have the right to vote to elect our president, which not all countries do.

In fourth grade, students are learning about the role George Washington played in the American Revolution. Alexa Palko talked about his importance and the role of those who followed in the White House.

“President’s Day is a day to remembered all the presidents that served for us,” Palko said.

In general, Presidents’ Day is a quiet holiday. Students had Monday, February 19, off from school as part of winter recess. School was back in session for a half day on Wednesday, February 21.