St. Patrick’s Day legends and traditions

Many people in Ireland celebrate St. Patricks Day with a parade.
Many people in Ireland celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a parade.
Luca Carvalho

St. Patrick’s Day honors a real missionary in Ireland who lived about 1,500 years ago. He helped spread Christianity throughout Ireland. Today, people celebrate this saint with food festivals and the color green.

According to several online sources such as the History Channel and Britannica for Kids, St. Patreick was born in Britain, then kidnapped and brought to Ireland as a slave at 16 years old. He later escaped and returned to Ireland. He was from a Christian family, and it’s said that his faith in God helped him through his time in slavery, so spent the rest of his life traveling as a missionary around Ireland trying to convert people to Christianity. That’s why he earned the title of saint.

According to Britannica for Kids online there are many stories about St. Patrick: “One legend says that he drove away all the snakes in Ireland. Another legend says that he used the three parts of a shamrock leaf to explain the idea of the Trinity. The Trinity refers to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the Christian religion.”

The shamrock is now a famous symbol of Ireland. It helps explain why the color green is associated with St. Patrick. His day is celebrated on March 17 because this is believed to be the day he died. Some people celebrate the holiday in special ways.

“I have green eggs and a green bagel for breakfast, and I make a leprechaun trap the day before. For dinner I have corn beef, potatoes, and soda bread,” Jordan Shaw, a sixth grader, said.

Shaw, who is Iriah, wears green since it’s supposed to be a lucky color on St. Patrick’s Day.

“I get dressed up in all green, wear silly hats that a leprechaun wears, and enjoy’s time with family and friends,” Sofia Chazez, another sixth grader, said.