Spring has sprung

Cherry blossom trees bloom in downtown Westwood, New Jersey, as a sign of springtime.
Arya Sontag

Spring has sprung in Emerson, New Jersey. The first day of the new season was March 19, and many people excited for it.

“I like spring because it’s a really pretty season,” Penelope Stolfe, a sixth grade student, said. “There’s baby animals, there’s flowers, and birds.”

Stolfe knows that new life among animals and plants happens in spring. Flowers bloom and bees pollinate, Baby chicks, deer, bunnies, and more are born. Birds fly back from the south and start cheeping.  Everything comes back to life from a sometimes long and cold winter.

Paige Ciavaglia, a first grader from Memorial School, says spring is her favorite season.

“It’s warm. [I like to] rollerskate. There are flowers in my yard,” Ciavaglia said.

While Ciavaglia enjoys rollerskating, others like to take a bike ride, look for flowers, or play on a playground. Spring is a their season to be active.

“I love seeing spring outside,” Jacqueline Santalla, the main office adminstrator, said. “It is very relaxing, and it’s enjoyable to see more people outside. Spring to me is always an opportunity for new beginnings. We celebrate Easter big time and my daughter’s adoption day. I enjoy seeing all the beauty nature has to offer.”

We might not even have spring if not for the tilt in Earth’s axis.

“Since the tilt of the axis is 23 1/2 degrees, the North Pole never points directly at the Sun, but on the summer solstice it points as close as it can, and on the winter solstice as far as it can. Midway between these two times, in spring and autumn, the spin axis of the earth points 90 degrees away from the sun,” states the National Weather Service online.

Spring lasts until June 19.