The votes are tallied

Students running for officer positions read campaign speeches in front of their peers.
Staff photo

Patrick M. Villano Elementary School students gathered in the all-purpose room for a town hall meeting on November 6, 2023. Candidates ran for president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer of Student Congress. They read a speech to show their worthiness, then students voted. Gabriella Viggiani from sixth grade won the office of president.

“I want to give students more assemblies because they give students a break from all the work they do in class,” Viggiani said.

She believes that more assemblies are the key to more efficient learning.  

To run for an officer position in Student Congress, one must first be elected to a classroom representative position. Officer positions are open only to students in fifth and sixth grade. Specifically, fifth-grade students can run for vice-president and treasurer. Sixth-grade students can run for president and secretary. Viggiani, Sofia Chavez and Maddy Downing ran for president. Oliver Stutzel and Aaron Soohoo ran for secretary. Fernando Menez Lopez ran unopposed for vice-president, as did Lincoln Bahng for treasurer.

“I want to help out, and count the money for fundraisers because it’s fun,” Bahng said.

Bahng thinks that running for a higher place in Student Congress would boost his ability to help others. Fifth grade writing teacher, Kim Biggs, is one of the Student Congress advisors.

“There are 25 people in the Student Congress,” Biggs said. “Since there are fewer kids than last year, it feels more manageable, and I think we’ll accomplish more this year.”