A fine line of actors and singers leads to a “peachy” performance

April 2, 2018

Tricia Mancino

The cast and crew of “James and the Giant Peach” gather in the school’s music room on opening night. This group has practiced songs and lines for the past four months. Fifth and sixth graders audition for roles.

The chatter stops, the lights dim, and the curtain rises. Each year, dozens of students at Patrick M. Villano School anxiously await opening night of the school play, and this year is no exception. The curtain is set to rise on “James and The Giant Peach” on April 12. The process took much hard work, commitment, and confidence on the parts of both students and staff.

Fifth and sixth graders audition for parts early in the school year. Saying lines and singing a song excerpt is part of the audition for play directors. Fifth grade teacher Tricia Mancino and music teacher Alyson Berkowiz are the directors. Within two weeks, the directors assign parts and rehearsals start. This also starts the beginning of new friendships for some students. Play participants spend a lot of time with others they may not have known well before the play, and it also allows students who are friends to grow closer. Students rehearse three times a week, and they are allowed just two unexcused absences. Exceptional behavior during rehearsals is expected. 

With two weeks to go until opening night, directors added Saturday rehearsals. Most students think this is a lot of fun. Not only do they read lines and choreograph moves on stage, students eat lunch together and have impromptu dance parties. Students hope to replace opening night jitters and sweaty palms with feelings of those fun and happiness. Some participants call the play a rollercoaster of friendship and laughter mixed with hard work and commitment.