A colorful annual tradition

March 26, 2018

Nick Milo

Elementary art teacher Wanda Lev has worked in the Emerson Public School District for 21 years. She’s loved art since she was a kid herself. The annual art show makes her feel proud.

Nearly three hundred pieces of artwork from students in Pre-K through second grade decorated the cafeteria of Emerson Junior-Senior High School. This year, first and second graders from Memorial School had a choice of three to four projects to pick from. Each of those students chose what they wanted in the show. Elementary art teacher Wanda Lev prepared the annual art show exhibit. The idea is to showcase the creativity of the district’s youngest students.

“I love that every student has their own piece that they completed themselves, and it always looks so amazing,” Lev said.

Lev, who has been a teacher for 21 years, said she loves the art show because every student gets to make his or her own creation.

“My favorite part of being an art teacher is when a student completes a project that they did not think they could do, and are so proud of themselves,” Lev said.

Lev became an art teacher because she loves to draw and paint. She especially likes to watch a student who at first thinks he or she has little talent but then creates something amazing. As a child, Lev loved to sketch with pencils. Some of the work on display at the art show reminds her of things she made as a child.