Practice makes perfect

Gearing up for the Spring Concert
Music teacher Joseph Gibbs stands in front of a background of sheet music.
Theo Duffy

The Spring Concert at Patrick M. Villano School isn’t for a couple of months, but preparations from the bands and the chorus have already started. Practices are held once or twice a week almost every week for the big night in May. Joseph Gibbs is the band director for the Beginner, Concert, and Symphonic Band. He and his students started practicing for the Spring Concert soon after the Winter Concert was over.

“My favorite piece? That’s so TOUGH!” Gibbs said. “I love all the pieces I have programmed for the spring concert. There are so many good choices that challenge the band students as well as provide a great creative outlet for.”

Gibbs is in his first year as band director, having spent his first year leading the school chorus. He’s looking forward to his first Spring Concert and his favorite song in the progra,.

“I would have to say my favorite one is ‘Alpha Squadron’ by Greg Hillis. It is the opening number for the symphonic band. I have a lot good memories with this piece; it is very catchy, and it is an overall exhilarating number,” Gibbs explains.

The concert has its challenges, too. One song in particular has more complicated notes and rhythms.

“I would say one of the hardest songs is ‘Shenandoah’ – an arrangement being performed by the concert band. It has a lot of moving parts and lush harmonies,” Gibbs said.

Allison Beckley is the new music teacher this year in charge of chorus for the Spring Concert. One of her students, Aneesa Mathew, spoke about her song list.

“A song called ‘Glorious’ is probably the hardest one right now. It’s hardest because there are a lot of solos that we haven’t figured out yet, but practice makes perfect,” says Mathew.