What’s new in Safety Patrol?

January 12, 2023

Noemie Tomeda

Sixth-grader Sophia Rizzo earned the special honor of Captain at the last Safety Patrol meeting.

Special pins of honor to place on the traditional bright neon yellow badges are one new addition to the Safety Patrol at Patrick M. Villano School.

“I got the Captain [pin]. I am proud of myself for getting the Captain [pin],” Sophia Rizzo said.

Rizzo is a sixth-grade member of the school’s Safety Patrol. These select students set good behavior examples and help enforce school rules. At each monthly Safety Patrol meeting, advisers Franklin Tiburcio and Amanda Binetti award three students a special pin and title: Sergeant, Lieutenant, and Captain. Those three students perform above and beyond their regular duties to keep student and staff safe.

“The main new thing is that Safety Patrol is back from last year. I think it’s a little different because last year obviously we had to deal with Covid.” Sydney Nepola answered.

Neopla is a sixth-grade student member of Safety Patrol.

“I am in Safety Patrol because I originally did it for a friend, but it also sounded like a really good opportunity to help around the school and have a lot of fun!” Nepola explained.