Celebrating “Walk to School Day”

October 30, 2021

Jacob Berens

Students from Patrick m. Villano School hold a banner in honor of “Walk to School” Day. This is the first time Emerson participated in the outdoor community event.

The booming sounds of trombone, trumpet and percussion instruments from the Emerson Jr.-Sr. High School marching band accompanied a group of about fifty-five elementary students and their parents on the district’s first “Walk to School” event. The crowd walked from Kinderkamack Road, down Hartland Avenue and to Patrick M. Villano School.

“I think it’s great,” Dr. Brian Gatens said of this outdoor community event. “I love the fact so many students came out today to walk with family and teachers. I think it’s important so many people came out because we don’t really get to go out and exercise, especially today.”

Gatens is the school district’s superintendent. He and the crowd walked to the tunes of  “Thriller”, “Seven Nation Army” and “Sweet Caroline”. Aside from the high school band, the elementary Beginner Band also walked during the event on October 28. The high school color guard members spun large, rainbow flags, also joined the walk.

“I think it’s important,” Andrew Baruch said. He’s in charge of the elementary school band. “It’s really good to form and bond with the community.”

There were more than 2,800 people around the country who participated in the “Walk to School” event. The idea is to promote exercise, outdoor activity and safe biking skills with the community. Here in Emerson, students rushed in the streets to keep up with the band. They walked about seven blocks. Elementary PTA parents greeted the walkers with stickers and water at the front of the elementary school. A handful of students carried a large banner announcing the event along the way.