Field Day fun postponed

May 15, 2018

Franklin Tiburcio

The layout for this year’s Field Day includes 16 different activity stations. Teacher and parent volunteers will be at each station. There is also room for four resting stations which are places students can take a break.

Rain and cooler temperatures forecast for this Friday caused the annual Field Day event at Patrick M. Vilano School to be postponed. It is now set for Wednesday, May 30.

A notice went home to all students this afternoon explaining the change in date. The notice stated, “The weather reports for this Friday are consistently showing that rain and cooler temperatures are in the forecast. These conditions are not favorable for a positive field day experience for students.”

“It’s sad,” third grader Evan Marcazo said. He was looking forward to the tug-of-war. “When the PARCC test is over this week, you want to have fun, but now it’s [Field Day] cancelled.”

PARCC stands for Partnership for Assesssment of Readiness for College and Careers. Students have been taking this state test for the past few days.

Field day is a day to be competitive, yet still have fun with friends. Teachers guide all the events. Third grader Riley Farrell met some new faces last year.

“You get to take a break from learning, and there are all different teachers you can see. I didn’t even know Mrs. [Kim] Dellavolpe, but now I do,” Farrell said.

Farrell really enjoys the wet sponge relay race, but the tug-of-war remains her favorite. Other games include jump rope, water balloon toss and potato sack races. There are 16 different event stations lined up this year.

View Comments (2)

The Villano View • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (2)

All The Villano View Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• P

Paul KimOct 7, 2018 at 7:52 pm

So sad that it was postponed! Nice writing, David!

Reply
  • D

David KimMay 22, 2018 at 3:52 pm

I made this, and I like the picture.

Reply
2