Cavos take part in national school walkout

March 15, 2018

Some students at Emerson Junior-Senior High School participated in a school walkout in memory of those killed in Parkland, FL, last month. The walkout lasted for 17 minutes to honor each of the 17 victims in the shooting attack.

Dylan Silva

“Knowing one day we can come to school and never return back home is terrifying,” student Erin Carlos said.

Carlos, a sophomore at Emerson Junior-Senior High School, reacts to a recent school shooting in Parkland, FL, on February 14. Students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School expected to send and receive Valentine’s Day cards that fateful day. However, two fire alarms took place in the morning. A former student, Nikolas Cruz, allegedly pulled those alarms. When the students and teachers entered the hallways, the shooting began, according to CBS News online. Cruz is accused of murdering 17 people.

“All my friends texted me things like, ‘God forbid anything happens. We all love each other,’” Carlos added.

Carlos is one of thousands of students across America who took part in a national walkout this week in favor of tougher gun control laws. Students walked out of classes from 10 a.m. to 10:17 a.m. That’s seventeen minutes in memory of the 17 shooting victims from Parkland, FL.

Although administrators allotted time for the walkout at EJSHS, no walkout was planned for elementary students in the Emerson School District. The district sent a letter to parents that stated, “… it is essential to remember that our young students, when considering their emotional development, can’t adequately process the weight of events in Florida.”

Another gathering of students in favor of stricter gun control laws is set to take place on March 24 in Washington, D.C. Those students will urge President Donald Trump and members of the U.S. Congress to ban military style weapons across America. They will also mourn those who lost their lives in Parkland, FL, and all those who have died due to gun violence in America.