Newspaper club catches interest of students

Third and fourth graders at Patrick M. Villano School in Emerson, NJ, met for the second time on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, as part of The Villano View newspaper club. Members write and take photos and video for the online newspaper which started this year.

The Villano View Staff

The Villano View Staff

Students in grades three through six who are eager to write stories, take photos or videotape events at Patrick M. Villano School in Emerson, NJ, joined the staff of The Villano View. That’s the school’s new online newspaper.    

More and more people want access to news and information fast,” adviser April Catuogno said. “It makes sense that the school newspaper be online, since we live in a digital society.”

The Villano View has a staff of reporters, photographers, editors and designers. Third and fourth grade students meet on Tuesdays after school until 4 p.m. They learn the basics of journalism like composing questions and  interviewing subjects.

“We get to do many things like take pictures and write captions,” fourth grade student Briella Donahue said.

Fifth and sixth grade students meet on Thusdays after school until 4 p.m. Most of those students start writing articles right away because they have more writing experience.

“I wanted to join because I like writing stories, and it was an extra club that was not on the list. It feels good to be on The Villano View because I like that we get to write stories,” fifth grade student Ronny Yun said.

“I love to write, and I like to write about topics that have to do with the real world. It’s exciting to be part of a group like this that allows you to experience something you wouldn’t always get the chance to,” sixth grader Reese Riordan said.

Newspaper stories cover more than school happenings like the Mr. O. Show, Heritage Day and Family Time. There is news from the community and recreational sporting events. The website has a special link to read about Citizens of the Month, too.

“I just love the energy of this group of students,” Catuogno said. “They are waiting at my door when the club starts, and they bring so many innovative ideas with them to our meetings.”

Catuogno, a sixth grade Language Arts teacher, graduated from Emerson Junior-Senior High School and studied journalism at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY, and the Medill School of Jouranlism in Chicago, IL. She worked as a newspaper and television reporter before becoming a teacher.