We’ve got spirit

June 18, 2021

Olivia Samuels

Now, these socks are wacky. They were perfect for Wednesday which was Wacky Sock Day.

Students loved the recent summer-themed Spirit Week at Patrick M. Villano School. It was filled with fun and wacky dress up ideas.

“My favorite part of Spirit Week is seeing all the creative ways that students celebrate their school spirit. While we do give instructions for each day, many students take the creative license to make each day their own,” Nicole Ferrante said.

Ferrante is a sixth grade teacher and a Student Council adviser. The Student Council organizes each Spirit Week.

”I love seeing students’ personalities come out on days like Wacky Wednesday. Plus, it makes the school day a little more fun,” Ferrante said.

Sylvia Barren is a fifth grader who also really enjoys Spirit Week. She says she’s able to express her creativity without being judged.

“My favorite Spirit Week activity is Wacky Hat Day. I really like it because I can be very creative,” Barren said. “I think Spirit Week is super fun and very exciting. I look forward to it greatly.”

Ferrante agrees.

“I love Spirit Week. It is always something fun to look forward to, especially this year when all the classes and students were so divided. It was nice that we were able to bring everyone together through Spirit Week,” Ferrante said.

Ferrante is passionate about Cavo Color Day which was on the same day as the annual schoolwide Talent Show.

“I think the most popular day of spirit week was Cavo Color Day,” she said. “All students have some form of Cavo apparel, so it is great to see everyone participate. It was also awesome seeing a sea of red, white, grey, and black at the Talent Show. We are all a part of such a great school community, so we should make it a point to show our Cavo pride.”

Music teacher Victoria Ioppolo  is also a fan of Spirit Week.

“I love spirit week! I loved it when I was in school and it’s special to share that with my students now!” said Ioppolo. “ I love dressing up in something wacky.”