Learning to handle peer pressure

December 8, 2019

The website for the Red Ribbon Campaign has a pledge for students to take. It says, “I pledge to grow up safe, healthy and drug free by: Understanding the dangers of drug use and abuse. Respecting myself and being drug free. Spreading the word to family and friends about the importance of being healthy and drug free.

Studnets at Patrick M. Villano School joined thousands of children across the country in celebrating the National Red Ribbon Campaign.

“We hope that students will learn to keep their body safe and make healthy choices,” Devan Chiusano said. “We hope students will learn the dangers of peer pressure and make sure to stand up for themselves when necessary.”  

Chiusano is the school social worker. She and physical education teacher, Franklin Tiburcio, organize red ribbon activities each year at P.M.V. School. This year, the campaign again took place in October.

According to the Red Ribbon Campaign website, “In response to the murder of DEA Agent Enrique Camarena, angered parents and youth in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the killing and destruction cause by drugs in America.”

On the first day of the campaign, students attended an assembly to learn about DEA Agent Enrique Camarena and his committment to fighting drugs. On the second day, students turned their back on peer pressure which means saying “no” if someone encourages a bad choice. To demonstrate that idea, students wore their shirts backward for the day.

”This years theme for Red Ribbon Week was peer pressure, and Mrs. [Devan] Chiusano and myself wanted our students to know the importance of peer pressure and being yourself,”  Tiburcio explained. “Peer pressure is a serious issue for students of all ages, and understanding at an earlier age would hopefully minimize the issue.” 

On the third day of the campaign, students united against peer pressure by wearing team shirts or jerseys. Then, students stood up to peer pressure by wearing jeans. Finally, they listened to music at lunch, and discussed being a leader – not a follower in their classrooms.