Sixth graders cruise toward the end of the year

June 17, 2019

Gabe Canicci

Sixth graders gather before boarding the Spirit of New Jersey boat for a class photo. The boat ride along the Hudson River is the annual end-of-year field trip for the grade.

The sixth grade students at Patrick M. Villano School cruised around New York City for their annual end-of-year field trip. The Spirit of New Jersey boat trip took place last week. The two-hour trip took students around the harbor and near the Brooklyn Bridge.

“I haven’t been on a board [a boat] in a very long time. The coolest part was getting ready to go and riding on the boat. It was exciting,” Nick Milo said. “I got to see the city – a nice view – and the State of Liberty.”

Students saw the water glistening beneath their feet and felt a nice breeze along the Hudson River. Each wore a special t-shirts that said, “Villano Class 2019” on the front, and it had everyone’s names from the sixth grade on the back.

“I liked to be able to see the city and spend time with my friends,” Kayla Mulligan said.

Mulligan expected to tour on a big boat with lots of fun games and activities, and she said the Spirit of New Jersey cruise met those expectations. There was Foosball, dancing, and even a giant game of Jenga on deck. The food was even better than the breeze from the water, according to many students. There were delicious potato wedges, creamy macaroni and cheese, and crispy chicken fingers with fries. Students from Emerson shared the cruise experience with two other local schools who were also on board.