Give and take

April 14, 2019

Jordan Marsh

The new bulletin board in the main hallway of school is divided into two parts. On one side, students are asked to take what they need, and on the other, to give what they can.

There’s a new bulletin board in the main hallway of Patrick M. Villano School. The Give and Take bulletin board allows students who are in need of a “pick me up” to take an inspirational quote. There are various categories of “need” according to Kristy Freidman, a Basic Skills teacher in charge of the board.

“For example, if you are feeling anxious about an upcoming test or assignment, you may need a little patience, or if you have had a frustrating and hectic week, you may need a little peace,” Freidman explained.

Students are encouraged to take what they need and give what they can in return. Part of the bulletin board asks that students to take a slip with a specific task to be completed as a way to give back.

“You may be asked to write a thank you note to a staff member or compliment a classmate.  Whatever the task may be, we hope that these small acts of kindness help make our school a better place,” Friedman said.